Annons:
Tageurope
Read 2851 times
Tealover
2018-04-12 09:32

Colonial sweden burns down an old lady's house

Yesterday was a dark day if you believe in the rights of native people.

Anita Gimvall, a Same who lives in northern Sweden had her kåta, a small traditionell cabin, burned to the ground by the swedish goverment.

Anita is a forest Same who had a kåta at a little lake in northen Sweden, her ancestors have lived by that lake as long as anyone can remember. And there has been a kåta there since atleast 1890.

A few years ago that kåta was renovated in a more mordern style. Then she was accused of building without a permit. The land was not hers on paper, since the same people land was taken from them long ago by the swedish crown. 

So, now the renovated kåta was suddenly a new building. And she was fined and had to restore the land as it was before. So she renovated the kåta in a more traditionel style.

This was not good enough according to the swedish gouverment and she was orderd to take the building down and "restore it as it was before any building" or they would burn it down.

Yeasterday the whole lokal police force (4 police) and two officers from the states bailiff came to burn her kåta down.

Some 30 people was there to Support Anita and to show how wrong this is. And this is 7km after roads end in an area of sweden that has few people. Anita herself was in her kåta so that she could protect her grandchildrens heritage as far as she could. 

Then she was taken from her kåta by the police and her kåta was set on fire, after one officer from the bailiff climbed up on her kåta to nonchalant make a call.

This shows how the colonial Sweden still exist, sweden has decided not to follow UNs ILO 169. If they had, this would be illigal. Or if Anita would have been a reindeer owning same instead of a forest same this would not happen. 

I'm sad, and angry and a little bit surprised but also not.

Swedish gouverment has to change, they have to start following ILO 169, they have to start respecting all kind of Same, not just reindeer owning Same, and even reindeer owning Same have to get more rights to their history and traditions.

The swedish gouverment has to start to remember the we who live in northern sweden, Same or not, are also swedish and should have the same rights as people in southern Sweden.

This has to change and change now.

If you want to see the police drag out an old lady from her home and then set it on fire you can see it here start at 1:04

https://www.svtplay.se/video/17651886/lokala-nyheter-vasterbotten/svt-nyheter-vasterbotten-11-apr-21-46-2?start=auto

Here ar links and sources in swedish

https://norrland.ifokus.se/discussions/5aa917ca8e0e740c9c002570-kronofogden-ska-branna-upp-150-ar-gammal-stuga?readstate=false

Teanerd who loves tea so much that i started a tea shop www.tealovers.se!
Host of Tea savvity and the swedish version Te ifokus
Follow me on Facebook and instagram

Annons:
Tealover
2018-04-12 09:34

I'm sorry it got so long but it's a very complex story

Niklas
2018-04-12 10:15

It got a lot of attention. Here’s a story by The Local: https://www.thelocal.se/20180411/swedish-government-burns-down-sami-kta-teepee

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Tealover
2018-04-12 10:25

#2 Good, let the eyes of the world see how shameful the swedish gouverment treats the same people

Tammie
2018-04-13 20:26

So very sad! Sad

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Leia
2018-04-14 15:11

A very sad case indeed.

All the best, Leia