Annons:
Tagnews
Read 2477 times
Leia
2018-05-24 23:08

McDonald's to carry on using plastic straws

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

"McDonald's shareholders have rejected a proposal asking the firm to report on its use of plastic straws, the latest part of a campaign pressing the firm to ban the items.

The idea, which was backed by activist group SumOfUs, won less than 8% of the vote at the company's annual meeting. 

McDonald's had recommended against the measure saying it was "unnecessary" and "redundant".

SumOfUs said the vote was "not surprising"…

..There is growing consumer concern about the effects of plastic pollution, in part helped by TV programmes such as the BBC's Blue Planet II.

Efforts targeting plastic straws, in particular, appear to be gaining traction.

In the UK, politicians have discussed the idea of a ban, while a growing number of cities in the US, including New York, are taking up the idea.

Companies are also taking action on their own. For example, Hilton on Wednesday pledged to eliminate plastic straws from the 650 hotels it manages directly around the world."

- BBC News, 24/05/18 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44232539

- Photo by Joshua Austin on Unsplash

I have seen so many small companies across the UK making the effort to abolish plastic straws, it is such as shame that a major company like Mcdonalds are not willing to put in enough as well Sad.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
Emo
2018-05-25 05:16

Where do I find the alternative?
Why is it so difficult according to McDonalds that they need so much time:

Citat"McDonald's told shareholders that it already has a goal that by 2025, "all of McDonald's guest packaging (including straws) will come from renewable, recycled or certified sources".

My website: American version
Min hemsida: Svensk version

Leia
2018-05-25 11:59

I've seen different places use paper straws or even metal straws, they have made this change in a matter of weeks, not 7 years!!!

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Emo
2018-05-25 12:41

Paper like it was when I was a child. LaughingThey need many years in the USA to change back so many years. Laughing out loud Development? Winking

Niklas
2018-05-25 13:36

I would like them to explain ”unnecessary” and ”redundant”.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Emo
2018-05-25 14:16

#4 Impossible.Laughing out loud

jordan
2018-05-26 01:53

Hopefully when the rest of the competition switches over they will as well. Surely the cost of paper straws cannot be much more if at all?!

Annons:
Scroll to top
Annons: