Annons:
Taginternational
Read 2334 times
Evelina
2018-05-30 12:42

Alexa records and sends private conversation

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

"Privacy advocates are sounding the alarm after a woman’s Amazon Echo device recorded a conversation between her and her husband and then sent it to her husband’s employee. Amazon Echo, a voice-activated device that is always listening and often recording, mistakenly thought the couple said the name “Alexa” while they were having a private conversation. The device then misinterpreted the couple’s conversation as a series of instructions, sending a recording of the conversation to a name in its contact list. In response, the woman said, “I’m never plugging that device in again.”" - Democracy Now!

Annons:
Niklas
2018-05-30 13:45

I read about that. As I understood it the Alexa had made numerous mistakes, all the way to confirming that they really wanted to send the clip.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2018-05-30 13:53

Yes the tech seemed to have misinterpreted a lot 😅

Tammie
2018-05-30 22:32

Scary!

Happy creating!

Tammie

Host of Paints and Crafts

Evelina
2018-05-30 22:39

Yes, that is why I don’t want one in my home. I value my privacy haha 😅

jordan
2018-05-31 21:38

I wonder which word set it off Confused Did Amazon make a statement about this?

Evelina
2018-06-01 11:09

Apparently it thought it heard the word Alexa

Annons:
Niklas
2018-06-01 14:23

#5: Yep, you can find their explanation below.

“Echo woke up due to a word in background conversation sounding like “Alexa.” Then, the subsequent conversation was heard as a “send message” request. At which point, Alexa said out loud “To whom?” At which point, the background conversation was interpreted as a name in the customers contact list. Alexa then asked out loud, “[contact name], right?” Alexa then interpreted background conversation as “right”. As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely.”

» Amazon explains how Alexa recorded a private conversation and sent it to another user - The Verge

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2018-06-03 22:42

#6 #7 How did I miss that?! Thank you!

Scroll to top
Annons: