Annons:
Tag:ย general
Read 2116 times
Max
2019-01-14 06:17

Jeff Bezos Divorce

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

As you may have seen, the world's richest man Jeff Bezos announced on twitter his divorce to his wife MacKenzie. The announcement itself is unusually lovee dovee for a divorce statement. Apparently Washington divorce law provides for a 50/50 split of assets accumulated since the marriage which in the Bezis case could potentially mean a $66 billion divorce settlement which would be a large multiple of anything ever seen before. Does this seem fair???

Annons:
Evelina
2019-01-14 10:32

I think it seems fair.  Also, I don't think any person should have that large amount of money.

Max
2019-01-14 12:48

#1 I'm not convinced on the fairness front to be honest. I think it would be appropriate to at least take into consideration the role each of the parties played in generating the income. As far as the morality of having such a huge amount of money. Actually it's not something I'm too concerned about. The reason is that I think it's CONSUMPTION rather than WEALTH that we should reallybbe concerned about. The lifestyle and consumption patterns of someone with say $100 m will not differ so much from Bezos with his $100 bn. Infact though prima facie one might think global utility would be substantially increased if Bezos' fortune were to be split among 1,000 people with say $100 m in my view it woukd be much worse as the aggregate CONSUMPTION of those 1,000 (think all the Saudi royal family) would be way higher probably almost 1,000 x that of Bezos. A guy can only eat so much pizza! In practice pretty much the only thing Bezos can do with 99.9per cent of his money is to give it away. Thankfully some of the most prominent multi billionaires such as Gates, Buffett and Zuckerberg have pledged to do just that and have sought to identify efficient ways to do that which benefit humanity. I think what is less appreciated as it is rather counterintuitive is that were one of these guys to be the most hardened miser, just building up a massive bank account or even having a bonfire of billions of dollars of cash, this though it would doubtless generate a huge amount of opprobrium would not actually be a bad thing, all it would do is to transfer wealth evenly to all holders of dollars according to the size of their holding.

Evelina
2019-01-14 14:37

I think he should have had a prenup if he didnt want to split the income generated during the marriage. The law states apparently, as you said, that it should be a split 50/50 so I guess its his own fault for not being proactive. Is he actively trying not to be split 50/50? Maybe he does think it is fair. ๐Ÿง From the perspective of the increasing degrees of income inequality and the inequality of wealth distribution in the US, I personally am not bothered that Jeff will have less money ๐Ÿ˜‚

Niklas
2019-01-14 17:12

Without knowing any details, splitting what they have accumulated in half seems fair. They have managed their life together. I don't think who did what is that important.

Best regards, Niklas ๐ŸŽˆ

Max
2019-01-14 19:22

I think they got married a year before Amazon was launched so he was only moderately wealthy at the time and therefore didn't think a prenup was needed. In some countries such as the UK prenups are not legally enforeble even if signed. Though I have not seen empirical data to back this up (I'm not sure such data has even been collected), anecdotally, this has made British men with significant assets or earning potential rather reluctant to marry and especially reluctant to remarry after an in many cases very expensive divorce. So far there are no signs of acrimony over the divorce and there is only speculation as to how their wealth will be divided. Being (presumably) at least a billionaire and possibly the richest woman in the world may prove a mixed blessing for MacKenzie. Though she comes across as an attractive, accomplished and classy woman she can never be sure whether a potential future partner is more interested in her finances. Of course Jeff is in a similar position and the woman who is divorcing his wife to leave (unusually 3 years older than his wife) seems like a disaster waiting to happen. She seems already to have been responsible for indirectly leaking his rather banal sexts, apparently with dick pics in the pipeline, all held by Trump's favourite Newspaper The National Enquirer, which may complicate his rumoured Presidential ambitions.

Leia
2019-01-14 23:14

If I was single I would definitely be sliding into his dms Winking (Only Joking).

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
Niklas
2019-01-16 10:36

#5: John Cleese has been very vocal about his misfortune when it comes to his latest divorce, complaining that he had to work to raise the money he owed the ex-wife.

Max
2019-01-16 11:37

There are undoubtedly alot of 50 + sonething guys who are deeply resentful about their divorce. If the guy is poor, the woman is often left in a very difficult situation funding the kids. If the guy has worked hard and saved a fair bit of money the settlements in the UK (where the woman will often keen the house - where most of the couple's wealth is tied up) can be financially ruinous. Even divorces that start out amicable can soon degenerate into bitter disputes once divorce lawyers get involved.

Niklas
2019-01-16 11:46

That sounds very different from Sweden. The principle here is that you split everything unless there is a prenuptial agreement. Both parents are responsible for funding the kids upbringing and often have the kids every second week, or similar.

Max
2019-01-16 13:00

Yes Sweden is well known as handling divorces better than most other societies. Here in Philippines divorce is actually illegal. If you are in the top few percent in terms of wealth you maybe able to an annulment, but that will be very expensive in local terms and take many years. There are also some other very unusual rules in the area here. For example if a partner finds his /her partner "romantically" in bed with another person he/she can kill both without a significant legal penalty.

Niklas
2019-01-16 14:48

That last part sounds like what I have heard about some middle eastern countries.

Max
2019-01-17 07:27

#11 Divorce in Islamic countries varies alot depending on the country and the degree to which its conducted under religious rather then secular law. In general I believe it is not very favourable to the female side. Traditionally at least in Islamic marriages guys have been able to say "I divorce you" three times and that's it. In the Philippines its at least equal opportunity mayhem as aggrieved parties if either sex are "permitted" to kill if they find the partner in flagranto delecto

Scroll to top
Annons:
ย