Annons:
Tagnews
Read 2589 times
Leia
2019-04-10 22:21

What does a black hole look like?

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

The image of a black hole captured by the Event Horizon Telescope. Photograph: EHT Collaboration

"Astronomers have captured the first image of a black hole, heralding a revolution in our understanding of the universe’s most enigmatic objects. The picture shows a halo of dust and gas, tracing the outline of a colossal black hole, at the heart of the Messier 87 galaxy, 55m light years from Earth." - The Guardian 

A great day for science and scientists around the world. As one of the speakers said, today one of our most incredible mathematical concepts went from an equation on the blackboard to a real image for everyone to see. Congratulations to all of those incredibly smart and dedicated people for showing us this wonder.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Annons:
jordan
2019-04-10 23:30

Am I the only one who felt a little underwhelmed by what it looked like? I don't know what I was expecting to be honest, but I guess something more spectacular?

Niklas
2019-04-11 10:55

#1: Perhaps its more spectacular up close. At a distance of 55,000,000 light years you can expect the photo to be a little blurry. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-04-13 00:52

Haha maybe 😉 I did see that there was some predictions of what the hole looked like, and they were fairly accurate! Maybe that contributed to me feeling underwhelmed

Leia
2019-04-15 15:00

#3 Where can you find these predictions?

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

jordan
2019-04-15 23:11

#4 Nowhere in particular, just by what was previously assumed it looked like in sci-fi or cartoons!

Scroll to top
Annons: