Annons:
Tag:ย news
Read 1663 times
jordan
2019-04-15 22:52

Fire devastates Notre-Dame Cathedral

The world famous Notre-Dame cathedral has been on fire since around 6pm this evening.

As of now, the cause of the fire is undetermined, however fortunately many artifacts had been relocated while reconstruction works were underway.

The building is over 800 years old, and is a major tourist destination in France, and is of particular importance to the Catholic demographic.

It's sad to see such a staple of France fall this way, although from reading online it seemed that the building was not in great condition anyway.

Here is the moment the spire fell from the Cathedral.

The BBC report has an interactive graphic, that while fascinating, shows how much of the building has already been destroyed.

Annons:
Niklas
2019-04-16 11:14

While it is very sad what has happened, it's been good to hear that the fire injured very few. Also, in these times, I prefer an accident over an act of terror. They say the fire was likely caused by renovation work.

Best regards, Niklas ๐ŸŽˆ

Niklas
2019-04-16 11:17

One thing that struck me about the fire was that it seemed so ferocious. I thought most of Notre Dame was made of stone, but there must have been a lot of wooden structures or other fire-prone materials there as well.

Leia
2019-04-16 12:27

Thatโ€™s so sad ๐Ÿ˜ž, did anyone here ever get the chance to see it in all its glory?

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

Niklas
2019-04-16 12:45

I have never seen it in person.

Leia
2019-04-17 11:29

#4 neither did I unfortunately ๐Ÿ˜ž

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

jordan
2019-04-18 00:12

#3 Sadly I haven't even been to Paris, let alone Notre-Dame!

#2 Yeah that is true, especially given how France has been targeted in more recent times.

Annons:
Niklas
2019-04-18 13:54

I think it is important to note the difference between losing property and losing people. A large share of old churches and castles has burnt at least once. One of Stockholms most liked churches burned down almost 30 years ago. They rebuilt it and now it's turned into an anecdote for people to tell.

ยป Could this fire-ravaged Stockholm church offer hope to Notre-Dame? - The Local

Scroll to top
Annons:
ย